“Divided into democracy and dictatorship after a catastrophic war. Separated by a militarized border. And home to vastly different economic models. Sound familiar? Yes, there are more than just symbolic similarities between post-Second World War Germany and the post-war Korean Peninsula.”
In a recent article for Business Spotlight magazine I pick up on the striking parallels between South Korea and Germany in the 20th century. But, as I make clear, these similarities shouldn’t be overdone, because at the same time they also have much that also separates them.
The article includes interviews with, for example, Ramon Pacheco Pardo, a senior lecturer in international relations at King’s College London, Anne Ladouceur, the Canadian-born owner of the website Korea4Expats.com, and Susanne Woehrle, who worked for BMW for 25 years and now works in vocational training for the German Chamber of Commerce in Seoul.
Pardo delves into the tricky business of Trump, relations with North Korea and the challenges of future economic growth. Ladoucer stresses the importance of personal networks and Woehrle goes through the intricacies of doing business there.
- Feb 14, 2019 Munich's Fridays For Future Feb 14, 2019
- Jan 28, 2019 Book Review: The Unravelling. High Hopes and Missed Opportunities in Iraq Jan 28, 2019
- Jan 15, 2019 Book review - John Robertson, Iraq. A History Jan 15, 2019
- Jan 1, 2019 Poverty Safari, Darren McGarvey Jan 1, 2019
- Dec 28, 2018 Iraqi artist recreates 3D ancient cities Dec 28, 2018
- Nov 28, 2018 Ireland: Waterford and the King of the Vikings Nov 28, 2018
- Nov 27, 2018 Spotlight: Pakistan Nov 27, 2018
- Nov 12, 2018 Business Spotlight: Israel Nov 12, 2018
- Nov 10, 2018 Business Spotlight magazine: South Korea Nov 10, 2018
- Nov 2, 2018 Thousands of dead fish ... the rivers of Babylon Nov 2, 2018
- Nov 1, 2018 Lacrosse interview – German and US players in Munich Nov 1, 2018
- Oct 31, 2018 Book review: Alan Rusbridger, Breaking News. The Remaking of Journalism and Why It Matters Now Oct 31, 2018
- Oct 26, 2018 Food: Sababa, Munich's best falafal restaurant Oct 26, 2018
- Oct 19, 2018 CSU loss is a Green gain Oct 19, 2018
- Oct 18, 2018 Gozo's Ta Tumasa & hints of the Middle East Oct 18, 2018
- Oct 18, 2018 The Price of Plastic - For One Turtle Oct 18, 2018
- Oct 14, 2018 Visit Malta, stay on Gozo Oct 14, 2018