In almost two decades of journalism, my writing has taken me on a cruise down the Danube, to Michelin-starred restaurants in London and South Tyrol, Bayern Munich’s training ground to speak to star players, and refugees fleeing from war-torn Syria. This morning, on a particularly chilly autumnal Munich morning, I’d arranged to meet two Munich-based lacrosse players for an article in Spotlight magazine.
Laura Koroschek (below) came south to Munich from Kiel more than a decade ago, and quickly joined HLC Rot-Weiß München. She has gone on to represent the German national team (German). She was accompanied by Jackie Klaus, (left) originally from the US, who moved to Cologne in search of adventure – and to coach the local lacrosse team. She now coaches and plays for HLC Rot-Weiß München.
We met for the interview on the edge of the huge Westpark (German), outside the HLC Rot-Weiß München club house, and in total we talked for around an hour, with my kids watching and listening intently in the background (if they found it still fascinating after an hour, that’s good enough for me!). These athletes are increasingly professional in an amateur sport, and such interviews can often prove to be the most interesting and rewarding - this certainly was.
The interview will appear in Spotlight in early 2019. In the meantime, thanks to Laura and Jackie for taking the time to talk about lacrosse, and for providing so much interesting background information on a host of lacrosse-related issues – and thanks for letting me know that today is a bank holiday! Being a freelancer and working ostensibly from home has many positive sides, but one of the things not so great is so often losing track of days.
Thanks very much, ladies! And I hope to see you in action for your final home game before the winter break on 11 November (see map above for location).
- May 5, 2019 New Pinakothek, exhibition: Die Neue Heimat (1950-1982), A Public Housing Corporation and Its Building May 5, 2019
- May 1, 2019 Spotlight magazine - Munich’s Brits: a sporting community May 1, 2019
- April 2019
- Mar 8, 2019 Passport decision time Mar 8, 2019
- February 2019
- Jan 28, 2019 Book Review: The Unravelling. High Hopes and Missed Opportunities in Iraq Jan 28, 2019
- Jan 15, 2019 Book review - John Robertson, Iraq. A History Jan 15, 2019
- Jan 1, 2019 Poverty Safari, Darren McGarvey Jan 1, 2019
- Dec 28, 2018 Iraqi artist recreates 3D ancient cities Dec 28, 2018
- Nov 28, 2018 Ireland: Waterford and the King of the Vikings Nov 28, 2018
- Nov 27, 2018 Spotlight: Pakistan Nov 27, 2018
- Nov 12, 2018 Business Spotlight: Israel Nov 12, 2018
- Nov 10, 2018 Business Spotlight magazine: South Korea Nov 10, 2018
- Nov 2, 2018 Thousands of dead fish ... the rivers of Babylon Nov 2, 2018
- Nov 1, 2018 Lacrosse interview – German and US players in Munich Nov 1, 2018
- Oct 31, 2018 Book review: Alan Rusbridger, Breaking News. The Remaking of Journalism and Why It Matters Now Oct 31, 2018
- Oct 26, 2018 Food: Sababa, Munich's best falafal restaurant Oct 26, 2018
- Oct 19, 2018 CSU loss is a Green gain Oct 19, 2018
- Oct 18, 2018 Gozo's Ta Tumasa & hints of the Middle East Oct 18, 2018
- Oct 18, 2018 The Price of Plastic - For One Turtle Oct 18, 2018
- Oct 14, 2018 Visit Malta, stay on Gozo Oct 14, 2018